Sunday, February 17, 2013

Happy Birthday, Mom. Wishing you were still here.



Mom was born on February 17, and passed this life on June 17, 2009. She would have been 81 today.  My dad's death preceded hers by almost 20 years.  That was our dog, Candy - a phantom-colored poodle.  The pic had to be in the mid to late 1980's.

Mom loved roses.  Her name was Rose.  My dad, Ted, made sure we had lots of roses in our garden.  Their favorite was the one called, "Peace," because of it's bright, nearly-neon orange to pink color.

I miss them both, but my faith in Jesus Christ, and the knowledge that both died having received the sacraments, gives me hope that they are both in a better place.  My father was a very devout Catholic who was very close to the Blessed Virgin Mary. He was a Fatima devotee, but a simple one - a man who practiced First Saturday devotions and offered up his sufferings (and oh, did he suffer, but always with much grace).  He always taught me to pray for the dead, no matter how holy they seemed.  He would say that those prayers, if no longer needed because the person has left purgatory for heaven, would be given to some poor soul for whom there is no one to pray.  I would imagine there are many poor souls today since so many were never taught, or have abandoned the practice, of praying for the dead.

A bouquet at their grave on their birthdays and the anniversary of their deaths is good.  A bouquet of prayers is even better.  With this, I pray:


De Profundis

Out of the depths I have cried to Thee, O Lord; Lord, hear my voice. Let thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplication. If Thou, O Lord, shalt observe iniquities; Lord, who shall endure it? For with Thee there is merciful forgiveness: and by reason of Thy law, I have waited for Thee, O Lord. My soul hath relied on His word; my soul hath hoped in the Lord. From the morning watch even until night, let Israel hope in the Lord. Because with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him plentiful redemption. And He shall redeem Israel from all her iniquities. Eternal rest give unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. Let us pray. O God, the Creator and Redeemer of all the faithful, grant to the souls of Thy servants departed the remission of all their sins, that through our pious supplication they may obtain that pardon which they have always desired; who lives and reigns for ever and ever. Amen.





For interesting news items I don't have time to blog on, check out my Twitter Feed: @TeDeumBlog

Te Deum Laudamus! Home

The obedient are not held captive by Holy Mother Church;
it is the disobedient who are held captive by the world!

- Diane M. Korzeniewski

Note: The recommended links below are automatically generated by the tool, so they are not necessarily related content.