Thursday, June 7, 2012

Religious Freedom Rally



Tomorrow there will be religious freedom rallies all across the United States, many of them led by U.S. bishops. Archbishop Vigneron was to speak at the rally here in Detroit, but his father passed away and the funeral Mass is happening at the time of the rally. I wish I could go, but I cannot attend.

Here is a webpage for locations around the U.S. These are interfaith rallies.  See the homepage.

SIGNS IN DETROIT

I got this message from Debbie Bloomfield.
Prayer and Fasting made Visible

The call by the bishops of the United States for a "Fortnight for Freedom" (June 21 to July 4) touched my soul and captured my imagination. I was drawn to the idea of prayer and fasting for religious freedom, but realized it is a "hidden work." I want to follow in the footsteps of the great martyrs for religious freedom against governments that persecuted them for living their Catholic/Christian faith. Their feast days fall during the Fortnight for Freedom: Ss. Thomas More, and John Fisher (June 22), St. John the Baptist (June 24), Ss. Peter and Paul (June 29). And I want to honor the tradition and culture of religious freedom guaranteed in the Bill of Rights' first amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which is part of our July 4th Independence Day celebration.

When I saw the design on the USCCB's special website www.Fortnight4Freedom.org, the answer was clear: print up signs for churches, yards, parades, and rallies. I added the line at the top of the design, "Pray and Fast for Religious Freedom" (see attachment). The signs will invite others to join in and at the same time announce this great spiritual work outside small prayer circles. I believe in the power of prayer and fasting, and this will help more people to join in the prayer!

I am ordering 250 of the red, white, and blue signs and hope to sell them at cost ($2.50 each) to any and everyone. Interest is growing as the word slowly spreads. Someone even called from Iowa! I suggested that he (and others who are not local) find a local printer. You can give the attached pdf file to the printer. That is all he needs. I hope that we run out and have to order more! They will be available at the Rally for Religious Freedom on June 8 in Detroit and Ann Arbor.

If you want to buy signs to place in front of your home, at your church, and for your local parade, please complete and return the order form. (We will have an entry in the Wyandotte July 4th Parade if you want to join us. It is also on the Wyandotte Fort Street sign.) You can pay when you pick up the signs in Wyandotte or another agreeable location.

Thank you!

In Christ,

Debbie Bloomfield, fortnightsigns@gmail.com

For interesting news items I don't have time to blog on, check out my Twitter Feed: @TeDeumBlog

Te Deum Laudamus! Home

The obedient are not held captive by Holy Mother Church;
it is the disobedient who are held captive by the world!

- Diane M. Korzeniewski

Note: The recommended links below are automatically generated by the tool, so they are not necessarily related content.