Friday, November 4, 2011

Ugh... computer problems


Stuff happens.  I've had intermittent slowness with my HP Pavillion Elite which is probably just under 2 years old. This is my workhorse (1TB of hard drive and 8 GB RAM).  I need to have some time home and call in for more serious diagnostics than I can do on my own.  I keep getting a failure in the "SMART short self test".  From all that I've read this may be an early indicator that my hard drive could fail.  I usually get the extended warranty, so when I'm home for a few hours, I'll make contact with HP and see if they will send me a new hard drive, if that is the problem. 

I use Carbonite backup, so I'm not worried about losing data.  I also bought Acronis True Image about 6 months ago when I thought something was up and pretty much cloned my hard drive, so I have my valuable stuff backed up.  

I'm hoping the problem will go into remission long enough for me to finish some processing I'm doing on some photos.  If the hard drive crashes, I won't lose it, but it is just creating a delay. 

At the moment, it seems to be working fine.  I hope that is the case when I sit down tomorrow to resume my editing. 

I hope to be back blogging soon. 


For interesting news items I don't have time to blog on, check out my Twitter Feed: @TeDeumBlog

Te Deum Laudamus! Home

The obedient are not held captive by Holy Mother Church; it is the disobedient who are held captive by the world!
Note: The recommended links below are automatically generated by the tool, so they are not necessarily related content.