Sunday, April 17, 2011

Palm Sunday in Photos - Extraordinary Form (1962 Missal)

Palm Sunday 2009


In 2009, I went all out on photographing Palm Sunday and the Triduum in the Extraordinary Form.  While the faces of altar boys change, with some no longer boys, but men, the liturgy remains the same.  Some have asked me why I don't shoot every year.  First of all, it is taxing and difficult to focus on the Mass, so I like to pause and use what is in my stock.  I can't do it much better than I did in 2009.  This is not to say I won't be photographing in the future, but not every year.  Secondly, I'm in the choir and I do not have the ability to bi-locate. 

Watch this slideshow below (I recommend using the "fast" setting).  There are some interesting differences to note in how it is celebrated in the ordinary form and in the extraordinary form.  For example, you will see the liturgical colors start out as red, but then change over to violet. You will see the altar boys removing the red antependium, which covers the front of the altar, revealing the violet one underneath. 

There is also the solita oscula, or ritual l kisses.  In any solemn high Mass we see the deacon kiss an object and the hand of the celebrant when exchanging things, in a specific sequence depending on whether he is giving or receiving.  On Palm Sunday, we see the ushers do this as they take the palms from the hand of the celebrant to distribute.  What is this and why is it done?  Remember, the celebrant regardless of any weaknesses or unworthiness to celebrate holy Mass, is standing in persona Christi.  It is not the priest himself which is reverenced through these ritual kisses, but Christ.  You will find a deeper explanation here: Extraordinary Form Mass Notes: Kissing the Hand of the Celebrant.


TRIDUUM AND ORCHESTRA MASS SCHEDULE FOR GROTTO
If you have not seen the schedule for the upcoming Triduum - Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and Holy Saturday, you can find it here, along with the orchestra Mass information for Easter and Divine Mercy Sunday.







For interesting news items I don't have time to blog on, check out my Twitter Feed: @TeDeumBlog

Te Deum Laudamus! Home

The obedient are not held captive by Holy Mother Church; it is the disobedient who are held captive by the world!
Note: The recommended links below are automatically generated by the tool, so they are not necessarily related content.