Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Bishop Vasa regarding his Vacation

Hat Tip to Amy Welborn on this one who gives us these extracts (full length article below)


Since the rectory there is largely uninhabited, I can move in without inconveniencing anyone. My presence there for three weekends allows the two priests at Nyssa to be given a bit of a break from the more than 90-mile weekly one-way trip and does allow them to alternate their own vacations without canceling Masses or seeking another substitute. Thus, while taking my own vacation, I can at the same time be of service to these priests.

Since the people in this remote corner of the diocese do not have the benefit of a full-time priest, it is my hope that my presence there, however brief, does let them know that I have not forgotten them and that I am concerned about the well being of the parishes. If the truth be known, the strongest draw is the fact that there is a body of parishioners there whom I genuinely like and enjoy. Even though I do not socialize a whole lot while I am there on vacation, I do like the folks there, and I do want to be of service to them. My life, at least in intention, is given over in service to the people of God. I do try very hard not to reserve anything for myself, and I am happiest and most “fulfilled” when I am living the life of a priest, a life most aptly described as “the life of a man-for-others.”


Source article